+1 (954) 467-8622

Edit Content

Contact Info

Phone Number :

866 203-2911

Location Address :

3864 Sheridan Street
Hollywood, FL 33021

Email Address :

What to Do if Injured in Car Accident as a Tourist

A vacation is supposed to be a time filled with fun, laughs, and excitement. However, one never knows when disaster is going to strike, including an accident. If you are vacationing in Fort Lauderdale and end up in a car accident, it’s crucial for you to know what steps to take next.

Steps to Take After a Car Accident While on Vacation

If you’re involved in a car it is essential that you call the police. With a police report, you’ll have a better chance of being compensated for any damaged property or medical bills.

After you’ve alerted the police, check on the well-being of the other individuals involved in the accident if you’re physically able. If you or any other party has even suffered even minor injuries you should get a medical evaluation as soon as possible. A doctor can identify any internal injuries you may have been aware of.

The next thing you should do is get the other driver’s persona and insurance information. All documentation is vital to your case. Do your best to get a home address and the phone number of the other person involved as well. You should also to take down the information of any witnesses to the accident so that an attorney can speak with them at a later date.

Filing a Lawsuit

After being involved in a car accident, you should file a personal injury lawsuit. It isn’t mandatory that a person live in the state in which they file a personal injury lawsuit, thus allowing visitors and tourists to settle legal issues in foreign jurisdictions. Even if the other party was also visiting, the lawsuit must still be filed in the county where the accident took place.

One has the freedom to pursue a personal injury lawsuit independently; however, chances of recovering fair compensation for all accident-related damages drastically increase with the help of a seasoned Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer.

State or Federal Lawsuit?

After the person decides which state in which to file their suit, it must be determined whether the case will be presented at the state or federal level. To be federal, the following must apply:

  • The damages are worth $75,000 or more, and the parties are from different states
  • There is a federal aspect involved in the case

Interestingly enough, federal cases can also be filed with state courts.

Getting into a car accident while on vacation in Florida is undoubtedly a stressful situation that can dampen the mood of the trip. During this unfortunate time, it can be refreshing to know that you have an attorney willing to fight relentlessly on your behalf. The Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyers at Salpeter Gitkin, LLP have decades of experience negotiating settlements for car accident victims and can do the same for you. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Our Head Attorney
Willaim Henderson

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.