When you survive a shocking car crash in Fort Lauderdale, your mind may be cluttered with all the things that you need to do next, when the most important thing you should focus on is recovering from your injuries. It’s crucial to know what steps to take immediately afterward to minimize the impact the crash will have on your life.
What To Do After an Accident
Contacting a Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer should be on your list of things to do after becoming injured in a crash; however, there are a few steps that take a higher priority:
- Seek medical care. The sooner you receive treatment, the better the outlook of your recovery will be. It is also important to have proof that you required medical care and treatment for accident-related injuries.
- If you are physically able to, capture photographs of the accident scene before going to the hospital. Be sure to include shots of the street, the damage to your vehicle, the road and weather conditions at the time of the accident, and photographs of your injuries.
- Collect information from witnesses. Anyone who may have witnessed the accident may be able to support your account of events. Be sure to ask for their names and phone numbers or other contact information so you or your attorney can reach out to them at a later date.
- Get a copy of the police report of your accident. Police must respond to car accidents and file a report that includes details of the crash. This report supports the claim you will ultimately file with your insurance company.
Getting a Lawyer Involved
An experienced injury attorney with Salpeter Gitkin, LLP can step in before you encounter any complications with your insurance claim. Our lawyers have decades of experience negotiating with insurers to ensure that our clients receive the funds they are entitled to in order to cover the damages from the accident. With an attorney by your side, you may be able to recover funds for:
- All medical bills related to the accident
- Costs of ongoing rehabilitation
- Transportation costs to and from all medical appointments
- Psychiatric treatment
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity
- In-home care
- Lost quality of life
It may also be possible to recover damages for pain and suffering or punitive damages in particularly egregious cases.
Don’t hesitate to seek a free consultation with Salpeter Gitkin, LLP. We won’t charge you until we recover the settlement you need. Call us toll-free at (800) 675-4128 at any time to discuss your case or reach out to us online.