Have you recently been injured in an accident with a commercial truck? If so, you can engage the services of a lawyer to get the fair settlement that you deserve. If you can prove that the accident the truck driver caused the crash while violating the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act (FMCSA), you may be able to recover hundreds, even thousands, of dollars in compensation.
There are several key sections of the FMCSA that commercial drivers routinely violate. They do so because they want to bring in more deliveries to earn more money. In some cases, employers will encourage their drivers to break these laws or create a hostile enough work environment that drivers feel pressured into straining themselves. Whatever the case may be, the at-fault party owes you compensation.
What are the Leading Causes of Commercial Vehicle Accidents?
Unfortunately, truck accidents are all too common, and usually follow a particular pattern. There are certain behaviors that commercial drivers engage in that could cause an accident, including:
- Too many hours on the road can leave a driver fatigued, which is a recipe for disaster. The FMCSA imposes strict limitations on the number of hours that a driver can work before a rest is required.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a blatant violation of FMCSA, state, and federal laws.
- Texting while driving is another factor that causes many accidents. A distracted driver can be responsible for a great deal of injuries and fatalities on the highway. This is a violation of the FMCSA that will be met with severe penalties if proven.
- Speeding is another leading cause of accidents involving commercial vehicles. The driver may feel that they are behind schedule or may want to demonstrate how effective they are in delivering loads for their employers. The result is often death and injuries on the road.
- If the trucker who caused your accident avoided safety inspections or was not properly licensed, the punishment they will receive will be extremely severe. They will very likely lose their commercial driver’s license (CDL) which gives them the right to work in the trucking industry.
The penalties for violating these laws are harsh, especially for a repeated offense. Those injured by the negligent actions of a commercial truck driver have the ability to recover a massive sum of compensation. The best way to go about doing so, however, is with the help of a knowledgeable personal injury attorney.
Hiring a Lawyer to Settle Your Truck Accident Case
The insurance companies representing truckers and their employers are massive and have the funds needed to cover your damages. However, their goal is to settle claims for as little as possible even if that means questioning the relevance of required medical procedures or even unnecessarily lengthening the process. By acquiring the services of a seasoned attorney, you improve your chances of having a successful personal injury claim.
The Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyers at Salpeter Gitkin, LLP have experience taking on large trucking companies and helping to guide those injured to justice. We can help you recover compensation for pain and suffering, medical treatment and equipment, lost wages, and much more. Contact us today at (954) 467-8622 for a free case evaluation.