Florida is a no-fault state which means your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage pays for your medical care in a car accident, no matter who is at fault. However, although your bills are being compensated through your insurance policy, there may still be outstanding expenses. This gap of uncovered expenses is due to the fact that the insurance company will only pay your medical bills up to a certain limit.
In Florida, drivers must have at least $10,000 in PIP insurance which means anything greater will be on you to finance. For accidents that are not your fault, this doesn’t seem fair. A knowledgeable car accident lawyer can help fill the void left behind by your insurance company.
What the Insurance Company Doesn’t Do
There is typically a limit to what PIP insurance covers; the maximum amount your insurer will pay for a claim dictates that limit. However, there are some costs not covered at all:
- Damage to your vehicle (collision coverage can help when added to policy)
- Vehicle theft (collision coverage can help when added to policy)
- Damage to other people’s property
- Medical expenses that exceed your coverage limits
What Your Lawyer Can Do
Having a lawyer ensures the insurance company takes your case seriously. A lawyer evens the field with an insurance company since both have experience with personal injury law. Your lawyer will know what works in your best interest by discerning recommendations that are actually just tactics that benefit the insurance company like:
- Questioning valid medical treatment
- Offering an insufficient initial settlement
- Requesting a recorded statement
Your lawyer can also serve as your legal representation if you choose to take the other party involved in the accident to court to recover damages not covered by your insurance policy.
Some other actions performed by personal injury accident lawyers include:
- Assisting in your interactions with the insurance company to give your account
- Collecting evidence of your own if possible
- Negotiating with your insurance company
- Negotiating with the other party’s insurance company and other complicated scenarios
Choosing a Fort Lauderdale Accident Lawyer
Finding a lawyer you can trust may seem daunting, but it is worth the time. Your lawyer does more than help you maximize compensation from the insurance company. He or she also can help you file a civil claim against the other driver if your damages exceed your $10,000 coverage limit.
Our team of Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyers at Salpeter Gitkin, LLP are experienced and knowledgeable in personal injury law. We have helped numerous South Florida car accident victims in their recovery and can do the same for you. With decades of experience recovering millions for people just like you, we’re confident we can answer your questions and find a resolution to your legal issue. Contact us today at (954) 467-8622 for a free case evaluation.